Our favourite itinerary that lets you travel from Cambodia’s temples to its idyllic beaches! Discover the most beautiful and impressive temples in Siem Reap, where time stops between centuries-old walls, unique brick sculptures and giant trees. Ta Prohm, Prasat Kravan and the world’s largest monument Angkor Complex, each temple is a bridge leading you back to the past. Venture to Sihanoukville – Cambodia’s tropical island with kilometres of white-sand beaches, a perfect location for swimming, snorkelling and various water activities. Visit the capital Phnom Penh, where the traditional Khmer and colonial charm is well preserved. Get a glimpse into the history of Cambodia in the 19th and 20th centuries when exploring the city’s most important sites and buildings.
- Day 1: Siem Reap – Arrival
- Day 2: Siem Reap – Full-Day Exploration
- Day 3: Siem Reap – Angkor Complex – Full-Day Exploration
- Day 4: Siem Reap – Flight to Sihanouk Ville
- Day 5: Sihanouk Ville – Boat Trip
- Day 6: Sihanouk Ville – Phnom Penh – Sightseeing Tours
- Day 07: Phnom Penh – Departure
- This itinerary is a privately guided tour, designed just to show you what is possible.
- We can tailor this trip, it's inclusions and the accommodations, to meet your requirements, budget, and interests.
Siem Reap – ArrivalDay 1
Your private tour guide will meet you at Siem Reap airport and will escort you by private car to your selected hotel in Siem Reap. Your knowledgeable guide will be happy to answer any questions along the way about your 2-week adventure in Vietnam and Cambodia and will assist you with check-in and registration at the hotel. The rest of the day will be yours to explore at your leisure.
Lunch and dinner will be on your own, but your guide will recommend excellent options for your preferred cuisine – we highly recommend trying Cambodian cuisine for a true immersion experience.
Note: For the Cambodian Visa on Arrival, please make sure you have 1 passport sized 3 cm x 4 cm photo and $30 for the stamping fee.
Overnight in Siem Reap
Siem Reap – Full-Day ExplorationDay 2
This morning you will get up early to witness the sunrise over ancient Angkor, and then return to the hotel for breakfast. After breakfast, you will embark on the tour. Today with the help of your private guide, driver and a private vehicle, you will get to explore the town’s major attractions.
– Banteay Srei: A favorite site of most visitors. The special charm of this temple lies in its compact size, remarkable state of preservation, and the excellence of its decorative carvings.
– Banteay Samre: With its rose-colored sandstone walls, decorated with carvings and bas-reliefs, which are among the most accomplished Angkor has to offer.
After lunch, your tour will continue.
– The fabulous Ta Prohm embraced by the roots of enormous fig trees and gigantic creepers.
– Prasat Kravan – With its unique brick sculptures.
– Srah Srang – The “Royal Baths” once used for ritual bathing.
– Banteay Kdei – Meaning a “Citadel of Chambers” also known as the “Citadel of Monks”, built between the 12th & 13th Centuries.
– Thommanon & Chau Say Tevoda Temples. Built during the reign of Suryavarman II (from 1113-1150), a UNESCO world heritage site.
If time permits you will also visit:
– East Mebon with a 10th Century Temple built during the reign of King Rajendravarnan.
– Neak Poan is an artificial island with a Buddhist temple and said to be a symbol of the Universe.
– Preah Khan was built in 1191 according to the tradition on a spot where the king fought a crucial battle against the Cham.
Your day tour will end at the hotel at around 17:30. The rest of the day will be yours to explore at your pleasure. Lunch and dinner will be on your own.
Overnight in Siem Reap
Siem Reap – Angkor Complex – Full-Day ExplorationDay 3
After breakfast, you will start your tour on bicycles, or you can choose to travel by private car. You will cycle for 45 minutes to the world heritage areas, on the roads less traveled. You will ride through parts of the jungle and pass local villages and shops. This morning, you will explore some of Angkor’s most beautiful temples.
You will start from the West Gate of Angkor Thom – undiscovered by most tourists.
The sites in this complex include:
– The ancient capital of Angkor Thom (12th century)
– The South Gate, Bayon Temple- unique for its 54 towers decorated with over 200 serene stone faces jutting out from the upper terrace.
– Baphuon temple, built in the mid 11th Century, lying just to the north of Bayon and dedicated to the Hindu god Shiva.
– The Royal Enclosure, Phimeanakas, built at the end of the 10th Century, and styled as a three-tier pyramid.
– The Elephant Terrace and the Terrace of the Leper King.
After returning to the hotel you will have time to rest before this afternoon’s tour. Lunch will be on your own.
Mid-afternoon you will continue on to the most famous temple: Angkor Wat. Angkor Wat became a World Heritage Site in 1992, famous for its beauty and splendor. Angkor Wat features the longest continuous bas-relief in the world, which runs along the outer gallery walls and narrates stories from Hindu mythology.
You will end up our day with an Elephant ride up Bakheng Hill to visit Bakheng Temple and enjoy a beautiful view of the sunset.
After returning to the hotel, the rest of the day will be yours to explore at your pleasure. Dinner will be on your own.
Overnight in Siem Reap
Siem Reap – Flight to Sihanouk VilleDay 4
After breakfast, your private tour guide will pick you up and take you to Siem Reap airport for a short flight to Sihanoukville.
Upon arrival, you will be picked up by a private driver and driven to our hotel for check-in. The lovely beaches of Sihanoukville are some of the most unspoiled in all of Southeast Asia. There are some 10 km of beach stretching the whole length of the town and dozens of small islands just a short boat ride away, which make for a perfect tropical getaway, with facilities for swimming, snorkeling or scuba diving.
This free day will provide an opportunity for you to relax, sunbathe, or enjoy the various water sports on these beautiful beaches. Lunch and dinner will be on your own.
Overnight in Sihanoukville
Sihanouk Ville – Boat TripDay 5
After breakfast and checkout, you will head out by boat for an exciting trip to the best of the many islands lying offshore from Sihanoukville. You will be taken to Koh Russei, also called Bamboo Island (transfer time 1 hour).
Upon arrival, you will take a short hike through the forest across the island. Then you will have time at leisure on the fine beach in the North of the island, which is still pristine and lined with Casuarinas trees.
Activities here include sunbathing, snorkeling, swimming or just relaxing! The rest of the day will be yours to explore at your leisure. Dinner will be on your own.
Overnight in Sihanoukville
Sihanouk Ville – Phnom Penh – Sightseeing ToursDay 6
After breakfast and check out, you will depart Sihanoukville for Phnom Penh. Phnom Penh- the city still retains traditional Khmer and colonial charm. French villas along tree-lined boulevards remind the visitor that the city was once considered the gem of Southeast Asia. Recent political changes have triggered an economic boom of sorts, with new hotels, restaurants, bars, and nightclubs springing up around the city.
On arrival, you will take a guided tour, visiting the cities major attractions.
– The Royal Palace compound was built in 1866 by the Predecessors of King Norodom, one of the most impressive and colorful Khmer-style Palaces.
– The Silver Pagoda (The Emerald Buddha Temple), displaying many Buddha Statues decorated with diamonds, emeralds, gold and silver.
– The Independence Monument which was constructed in 1954 after Cambodia took their country back from the French.
– The National Museum – the distinctive red building with beautiful Khmer architecture, built in 1917. It contains more than 5000 art objects made of sandstone, bronze, silver, copper, and wood.
– The Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum. The site is a former high school which was used as the notorious Security Prison 21 (S-21) by the Khmer Rouge regime from its rise to power in 1975 to its fall in 1979. Tuol Sleng means “Hill of the Poisonous Trees”. Tuol Sleng was only one of at least 150 execution centers in the country whereas many as 20,000 prisoners were executed.
After that, you will return to your hotel in Phnom Penh, and the rest of the day will be yours to explore at your leisure. Lunch and dinner will be on your own.
Overnight in Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh – DepartureDay 07
After breakfast and a leisurely morning on your own, you will check out by midday and your private driver will pick you up and take you to the Phnom Penh airport for your departure flight home.
Inquire this trip
We are a member of:
We are a fully licensed company:
License No: 01-327/2014/TCDL-GPLHQT
This tour is built upon our firsthand knowledge & experience, offering you the best choices available. The price of this trip varies depending on the number of people in your party, dates of departure, and the availability of ground services. Please click on REQUEST A FREE QUOTE (above) and supply the required information, enabling us to send you your personalized quote within 24 hours!
Note: Amendments CAN be made to this tour to suite your requirements.
- Accommodation with daily breakfast at selected hotels
- Private Vehicles and Drivers
- Private English Speaking Guides (Other languages if available, upon request)
- Meals as mentioned in the itinerary (B= Breakfast, L= Lunch, D= Dinner)
- Entrance fees for all mentioned sights visited
- Service Charge & Government Taxes
What’s Not Included?
- Your International Flights to and from Cambodia
- Cambodia entry Visa Fees (contact us for further information)
- Personal Expenses (such as laundry, telephone, drinks, etc.)
- Any bank fees or charges at your end
- Meals other than those mentioned in the itinerary
- Personal Travel Insurance
- Tips for guides and drivers
How to Plan a successful Trip to Cambodia, Step-by-Step
Why to visit Cambodia
Where to Go
When to Go
Obtain a Cambodia Visa
How to book a tour
Packing and Luggage Allowance
Why to visit Cambodia
The Kingdom of Cambodia is a land that continues to surprise and delight its visitors. Home of the Angkor temples (the magnificent legacy of the Khmer empire that ruled over much of Southeast Asia 1,000 years ago) there is much to discover in this country.
By day, learn about the history of the capital city Phnom Penh; by night, dine on traditional Cambodian feasts and experience Cambodian nightlife. Visit the islands that dot the Cambodian coast and the quaint little provincial towns that make up the beautiful countryside. Explore the UNESCO World Heritage site of Angkor Wat, travel the Mekong River by boat and relax on pristine beaches.
Learn about the tragic history of the Killing Fields, the Tuol Sleng Museum and other reminders of the Khmer Rouge regime. You will be amazed by the optimistic attitude of Cambodians, who have found the courage to continue smiling despite three dark decades of civil war. See for yourself what it means to live up to the saying “What doesn’t break us makes us stronger”.
Where to Go
Most popular sites of Cambodia
• Siem Reap – a cluster of villages with a French colonial center; the gateway to the Temples of Angkor
• Phnom Penh – the capital city of Cambodia, situated at the confluence of three rivers and offers an interesting mix of colonial buildings, temples, markets and broad avenues
• Tonle Sap Lake – one of the world’s largest freshwater lakes, home to floating villages, forests, and natural splendor
• Sihanoukville – a jewel of white sands, blue sea and fresh seafood, situated in the south of Cambodia
• Kampot, Kep and Bokor National Park – less known but worth a visit on longer itineraries or when crossing into Vietnam at Ha Tien
When to Go
The best time to visit Cambodia is between November and March. During this time the country experiences the least amount of rainfall without becoming too hot.
In general, the entire country is subject to the same weather patterns, with two main seasons: hot and dry, and hot and wet. If you are unaccustomed to the tropics, you will find Cambodia to be very hot and sweaty.
The dry season runs from November to April on the back of the northeast monsoon. November to January is cooler, while February to April is hot and dusty. November is the coolest month and April the hottest.
The wet season runs from May to October, courtesy of the southwest monsoon. The wet season provides 75% of Cambodia’s annual rainfall. July to September are the wettest months.
Obtain a Cambodia Visa
For most visitors to the Kingdom of Cambodia, a visa is obtainable upon arrival at either airport in Phnom Penh or Siem Reap. Crossing over from Thailand by land, visas are available at Poipet Banteay Meanchey and Cham Yeam (Koh Kong province). Visitors entering Cambodia from Vietnam by land through Bavet / Moc Bai, or Ka-Om Samnor / Chau Doc, will need to have already obtained their visas prior to their arrival through a Cambodian Embassy or Consulate overseas. Tourists can also obtain their visas through the online E-Visa. Regardless of the method of entry, a Cambodian tourist visa is valid for one month.
Note: your passport must be valid for 6 months beyond your travel date, and there must be several blank pages left on your passport. You should also have a 5 cm x 5 cm on a white or off-white background photo ready, as well as USD$30 for the stamping fee.
FYI, a departure tax is charged on all domestic and international flights.
The citizens of the following countries do not need a visa to enter Cambodia for a certain amount of time:
- Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam (maximum stay of up to 30 days)
- Philippines (maximum stay of up to 21 days)
- Myanmar, Thailand, Brunei (maximum stay of up to 14 days)
Unfortunately, citizens of the following countries are ineligible for an e-visa and will have to apply at their nearest Cambodian embassy / consulate:
Middle East – Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia
South Asia – Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka
Africa – Algeria, Nigeria, Sudan
How to book a tour
Booking your holiday with Indochina Pioneer cannot be easier! Follow our 3 simple steps:
Step 1: Browse our website www.indochinapioneer.com for tours, cruises and other destination information.
Should you find something that matches your interest, fill in the REQUEST A FREE QUOTE forms. Can’t find something that fits your needs? Then fill the BUILD YOUR OWN TRIP or CONTACT US form and click SUBMIT.
Then sit back! One of our travel experts will get back to you shortly with our customized package and most favorable offer!
In a hurry? Don’t like filling forms? Then call +84 982 116 630 (Mr. Lam) or +84 983 145 799 (Mr. Quyen). We’re available 24/7 and would be more than happy to talk! Certainly, your request will be carefully noted and a nicely crafted package with a pleasant price will follow!
Step 2: Reviewing/ Customizing our offer!
It’s your holiday so everything should be exactly what you want! We encourage your careful review of what we offer, letting us know what changes you would like to make. We’ll be more than happy to fine-tune the tour to fit best your interests, budget and time! This step may require several emails/call exchanges until perfect!
Step 3: Confirming/Paying/ Packing for the trip!
Once you’re satisfied with the customized tour, please let us know and Indochina Pioneer will need a few working hours to place reservations for all of the tour services. As soon as the availability and reservations of the services are confirmed, we will request a deposit. Please refer our Payment Guide for more details.
Once your deposit is received by Indochina Pioneer, we will send you the service voucher which confirms all the services of the tour and provides ground contact details and a guide for the final payment schedule.
And then you start counting down the day for your most fabulous trip!
Booking Amendment & Cancellations:
Booking Amendment: Flexibility is our strongest point. You can amend your booking even after it is made. Just contact your salesperson or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your booking number. Our reservations team is glad to amend your booking with your preferable alternatives. Please kindly note that you will be responsible for any change of the final price caused by your amendment requests.
Travel smart with Indochina Pioneer!
Packing and Luggage Allowance
Packing Checklist – Be sure to check them all 😉
- Travel documents (passport, visas, travel insurance certificate, air tickets, tour voucher)
- Money (cash, credit card, debit card, traveler’s cheques and money pouch)
- Day pack for your personal needs during the day
- Camera and extra memory cards and batteries
- Cell phone and cell phone charger
- Laptop charger (if you are bringing your laptop)
- Travel plug/international adapter
- Medication (including a doctor’s letter if you are carrying a large amount of medication)
- Prescription glasses / contacts and if necessary, contact lens solution
Best to bring along
- First aid kit
- Insect repellent
- Refillable water bottle with filter
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Comfortable clothing, either light or heavy options, depending on the season you are travelling
- Clothes suitable for visiting temples (long pants / skirts, long sleeved tops)
- Waterproof jacket / raincoat / umbrella
- Hat & sunglasses
- Bathing suit
- Ear plugs & eye mask
- Sleep sheet for home stays / trains
- Lightweight travel towel
- Local language phrasebook
We are committed to giving our customers unforgettable experiences in Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and beyond, not just something staged for tourists. Read reviews written by our customers about their experiences in Indochina after they have returned home. These include the ratings and comments on attractions, guides, activities, hotels and food.
"THAILAND WAS AMAZING – 5 star custom tour"
Thank you Mr Lam Duong for always giving top-notch service. You know what we like and you deliver the BEST Private custom holidays to Cambodia and recently Thailand. Looking forward to our next vacation. HOW ARE YOU GOING TO TOP THAILAND?? It was AMAZING!! We didn’t want to leave!!
"22 day tour of Vietnam and Siem Reap"
My husband, adult children and I have just returned from one of the best trips of our lifetimes. After numerous requests from me to change, add or tweak the day-to-day tours suggested to me, Hang (Lizzie) from Indochina Pioneer found the perfect combination for us. She is a knowledgeable, patient and gifted organizer. I couldn’t be happier with her professionalism and attention to detail. As we toured the country, we were inspired and educated by our guides Nam, Dat, Larry and Pascuale. We hiked through jungles, ate marvelous food, spent time on the waters of Halong Bay and Phu Quoc Island, we rode bikes through villages and explored the busy streets of Hanoi, Hoi an and Ho Chi Min City, we visited temples and war monuments. Every detail was carefully outlined by Hang and if we wanted to make last-minute changes to the day, our guides were happy to accommodate. I would highly recommend Indochina Pioneer. If I have the good fortune to return, I would use them again. Gold stars all around! Well done Hang & team!
We are so grateful to Ryan Mac and the Indochina Pioneer team for organizing the perfect family vacation for us in northern and central Vietnam. We saw places and had experiences we never would have without them. They made the trip easy and fun. We will be using them again!
"Vietnam and Cambodia"
We booked our trip to Cambodia and Vietnam with Indochina Pioneer, and I highly recommend their local expertise and professionalism. This was the first time we have worked with an in-country travel agency for a customized trip, and the partnership helped us create an amazing vacation.
I contacted Indochina Pioneer and was assigned a Travel Specialist, Elly, who worked through our initial trip thoughts and gave us some additional suggestions. She was very responsive, listened to the type of trip that we wanted, and always followed through. Her professionalism built our confidence in a successful trip.
We had the agency set up drivers, tour guides and hotels based on our personal qualifications. Each stop we had a new, local guide who understood the history of the area and helped us navigate to the local sights. Because of the guides, we were able to experience not only the popular tourist areas, but also go to more obscure sights that gave us a local experience.
We really loved the local food tours in Vietnam because our guides took us around the cities to a non-tourist restaurant. We also had three bike trips, so instead of driving and seeing the countryside pass us by, we rode our bikes.
I highly recommend working in Indochina Pioneer for your next trip to Asia!
"Great tour company"
We toured Siem Reap and Hanoi. Our tour guide and driver in Siem Reap were perfect. We were very happy with the hotel choice as well. In Vietnam, we went to Halong Bay on a junk boat cruise. Absolutely perfect!
KimThetford, United Kingdom
"Best Cambodia trip ever!"
Sally created the most enjoyable trip to Cambodia for our family. Everything was wonderful from the tours, food, hotels, guides and entertainment! We didn’t have to worry about a thing. Everything was planned so well and traveling between Phnom Phen and Siem Reap was so convenient. The boutique hotels were beautiful and relaxing. We’d definitely use Indochina again and can’t wait to plan our next trip.
"10 Day Vietnam Tour"
Booked with Indochina Pioneer for our trip to Vietnam. Amazing service from booking to arrival and all tour guides and drivers are exceptionally good – professional, knowledgeable and friendly. All tour guides have a good knowledge of English. – drivers not necessarily. Loving our trip!!!
"Indochina Pioneer tour of Vietnam and Cambodia"
We used Indochina Pioneer to visit several cities spanning north, central, and southern Vietnam as well as Siem Reap, Cambodia. The tour company made all of our transfers and visits seamless. It was very helpful with small children to have a driver and a guide to each location. It really took the stress out of the trip and I would highly recommend this company.
"Personalized tour of Vietnam and Cambodia"
Sally was so helpful setting this all up and taking care of us along the way. The tour guides were fantastic in both countries. Everything was taken care of for us and the accommodations were in great parts of town – especially Hanoi. I have already and will continue to recommend to friends.
ScottCrows Nest, Australia
"Thank you Tran Minh Tuan Mr Quoc"
Mr. Tran Minh Tuan & Mr. Quoc guide and driver in Hue and HoiAn have been fabulous, informative friendly, helpful and great companies. The whole trip booked via Indochina pioneer and so far fantastic